Jeffrey Cheng, MD
The Center for Pediatric Otolaryngology
430 Lakeville Road
New Hyde Park, NY 11042
Tel: (516) 470-7000
Department of Otolaryngology, Hofstra-North Shore LIJ School of Medicine
Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Cohen Children’s Medical Center
About Jeffrey Cheng MD
Dr. Jeffrey Cheng specializes in all aspects of pediatric otolaryngology, including advanced endoscopic and open airway surgery, cochlear implantation, sinus surgery, and chronic ear/cholesteatoma surgery. After completing his residency at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York NY, he went on to pursue extensive subspecialty training in pediatric otolaryngology for two years at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where he was trained and educated in the most advanced and current management options for children with complex otologic, paranasal sinus, head and neck, and airway pathology.
During his fellowship training, he has also developed a subspecialty interest and further pursued experience in the evaluation and management of children with vascular anomalies of the head and neck.
Comprehensive Pediatric Otolaryngology Expertise:
- Cochlear implantation
- Airway reconstruction, endoscopic and open
- Chronic ear and cholesteatoma surgery
- Sinus surgery
- Endoscopy and foreign body extraction
- Pediatric head and neck vascular anomalies
Biology, B.A. – Brown University
M.D. – Warren Alpert School of Medicine at Brown University
Otolaryngology – Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Pediatric Otolaryngology – Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Faculty of 1000: Post-Publication Peer Review, Associate Faculty Member
Clinical Trials and Research Interests:
- Pediatric head and neck vascular anomalies – hemangiomas, lymphatic and vascular malformations
- Cochlear implantation
- Neonatal and pediatric airway surgery
- Pediatric chronic ear and cholesteatoma surgery
Original Peer-Reviewed Publications by Jeffrey Cheng:
- Cheng J, Elden L. Children with deep space neck infections: our experience with 178 children. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Manuscript No. OTO-121947R2. Accepted for publication February 21, 2013.
- Cheng J, Kazahaya K. Endolaryngeal hookwire electrodes for intraoperative recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring during pediatric thyroid surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 Jan 28. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23358953
- Cheng J, Sobol S. Despite warnings, some graduating otolaryngology residents planning to use codeine for post-tonsillectomy pain control. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 Feb; 148(2):356-7. DOI: 10.1177/0194599812472869. PMID: 23355375
- Cheng J, Kazahaya K. Management of pediatric nasal dermoids with intracranial extension by direct excision. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 Jan 16. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23325711
- Cheng J, Bilaniuk L, Elden L. Unusual association of bilateral persistent stapedial arteries and microtia with bilateral ossicular anomalies resulting in conductive hearing loss. Otol Neurotol. In press, accepted for publication January 11, 2013.
- Cheng J, McKay E, Rizzi M. Congenital laryngeal hamartoma with ectopic thymus causing airway compromise in a neonate. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol Extra. DOI: 10.1016/j.pedex.2012.11.003
- Cheng J, Jacobs I. Thyroid ala cartilage graft laryngotracheoplasty for closure of large pediatric tracheocutaneous fistula. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012 Oct 13. pii: S0165-5876(12)00542-3. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2012.09.033. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23073169.
- Cheng J, Elden L. Outcomes in children under 12 months of age undergoing adenotonsillectomy for sleep disordered breathing. Laryngoscope. Manuscript number: LSCOPE-12-1341.R1. In press, accepted for publication September 21, 2012.
- Cheng J, Javia L. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) pediatric tympanostomy tube otorrhea. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012 Sep 25. pii: S0165-5876(12)00509-5. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2012.09.003. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23021467.
- Cheng J, Javia L. Neonatal methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) suppurative head and neck infections. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol Extra. DOI: 10.1016/j.pedex.2012.08.001
- Cheng J, Elden L. Management of pediatric second branchial fistulae: Is tonsillectomy necessary? Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012 Nov;76(11):1601-3. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2012.07.024. [Epub 2012 Aug 9]. PMID: 22884364.
- Cheng J, Woo P. Rescue microlaryngoscopy: a protocol for utilization of four techniques in overcoming challenging exposures in microlaryngeal surgery. J Voice. 2012 Sep;26(5):590-5. [Epub 2012 May 11]. PMID: 22578436.
- Cheng J, Kleinberger A, Dunham B, Woo P. Don’t hang your coat here. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012 May;76(5):750-1. [Epub 2012 Feb 25]. PMID: 22370239.
- Cheng J, Woo P. Correlation between the Voice Handicap Index and voice laboratory measurements after phonosurgery. Ear Nose Throat J. 2010 Apr;89(4):183-8. PMID: 20397148.
- Cheng J, Kleinberger A, Sikora A. Fusobacterium necrophorum in a pediatric retropharyngeal abscess: A case report and review of the literature. Ear Nose Throat J. Manuscript number: 11-34R1. In press, accepted for publication March 11, 2011.
- Cheng J, Garcia R, Smouha E. Mastoid osteoma: A case report and review of the literature. Ear Nose Throat J. Manuscript number: 09349. In press, accepted for publication April 8, 2010.