Lee P. Smith, MD, FACS
The Center for Pediatric Otolaryngology
430 Lakeville Road New Hyde Park, NY 11042
New Hyde Park, NY 11042
Tel: (718) 470-7550
Fax: (718) 470-4514
- Chief, Division Pediatric Otolaryngology, Steven & Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System
- Associate Professor of Otolaryngology, Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
About Lee Smith MD, FACS
Dr. Lee P. Smith is the Chief of the Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology at the Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children’s Medical Center of New York. Dr. Smith received his medical degree from New York University School of Medicine and completed residency training at the University of Miami – Jackson Memorial Hospital. He then completed a two year fellowship in Pediatric Otolaryngology at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia with subspecialty training in advanced pediatric airway reconstruction. Dr. Smith serves as medical director for the Comprehensive Airway Respiratory and Esophageal (CARE) team at Cohen Children’s Medical Center. The team focuses on managing children with complex airway disorders. Dr. Smith’s clinical interests include endoscopic and open pediatric airway surgery and surgical management of lesions of the head and neck. Dr. Smith’s current research focuses on creating three dimensional printing and tissue engineering solutions for pediatric airway surgery. He also is an expert on operating room safety, specifically, the prevention of surgical fire. Dr. Smith has authored multiple peer-reviewed publications and has been invited to present at numerous national and international meetings. Most importantly, Dr. Smith and the division of pediatric otolaryngology are focused on delivering the highest quality patient care in a family friendly environment.
Pediatric Airway Surgery
- Pediatric Head and Neck Masses
- Branchial Cleft Anomalies
- Thyroglossal Duct Cysts
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Primary Hospital Affiliations:
Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- North Shore University Hospital
Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery - University of Miami-Jackson Memorial Hospital
Pediatric Otolaryngology – The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia – University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Otolaryngology-Head/Neck Surgery – American Board of Otolaryngology
Awards and Recognition
- Greifer M, Santiago MT, Tsirilakis K, Cheng J, Smith LP (2015). Pediatric patients with chronic cough and recurrent croup: The case for a multidisciplinary approach. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 79: 749-52
- Gonik NJ, Cheng J, Lesser M, Shikowitz MJ, Smith LP (2015). Patient selection in congenital pyriform aperture stenosis repair –14 year experience and systematic review of literature. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 79: 235–239
- Roy S, Smith LP (2015). Prevention of airway fires: testing the safety of endotracheal tubes and surgical devices in a mechanical model. American Journal of Otolaryngology. 36(1): 63-6.
- Roy S, Smith LP (2015). Surgical Fires in Laser Laryngeal Surgery: Are We Safe Enough? Otolaryngolology-Head and Neck Surgery. 152(1): 67-72.
- Virbalas J, Smith LP (2015). Upper Airway Obstruction. Pediatrics in Review. 36(2): 1-10
- Cheng J, Nguyen V, Smith LP (2014). Is There a Role for Non-Operative Management of Congenital Nasal Pyriform Aperture Stenosis (CNPAS)? Journal of Otology & Rhinology. 3(5): 1-3
- Gonik NJ, Zeltsman D, Smith LP (2014). Complicated pediatric subglottic granular cell tumor with extensive intraluminal and extraluminal invasion. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 78(9): 1563-5.
- Giannikas C, Pomeranz HD, Smith LP, Fefer Z. (2014) Horner Syndrome After Tonsillectomy: An Anatomic Perspective. Pediatric Neurology. 51(3): 417-420.
- Smith LP, Roy S (2014). Operating Room Fires in Head and Neck Surgery. Journal of Operating Department Practitioners, 2(5): 181-4
- Cheng JC, Smith LP (2014). Intranasal Drainage for Pediatric Nasal Abscesses. Otolaryngololgy Head and Neck Surgery. 151(1): 179-181
- Siegel B, Smith LP (2013). Management of complex glottic stenosis in children with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 77: 1729-1733
- Gonik N, Smith LP (2012). Radiofrequency ablation of pediatric vallecular cysts. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 76(12): 1819-22.
- McMullen CP, Frank DK, Smith LP (2012). Backyard hazard: a case series of ingested grill brush bristles and a novel approach to extraction. American Journal of Otolaryngology, 33(6): 731-4.
- Leibowitz JM, Smith LP, Cohen MA, Dunham BP, Guttenberg M, Elden LM (2011). Diagnosis and treatment of pediatric vallecular cysts and pseudocysts. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 75(7): 899-904.
- Roy S, Smith LP (2011). What does it take to start an oropharyngeal fire? Oxygen requirements to start fires in the operating room. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 75(2): 227–230.
- Smith LP, Roy S (2011). Operating room fires in otolaryngology: risk factors and prevention. American Journal of Otolaryngology, 32(2): 109-14.
- Smith LP, Zur KB, Jacobs IN (2010). Single- vs double-stage laryngotracheal reconstruction. Archives Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery, 136(1): 60-5.
- Roy S, Smith LP (2010). Device-related risk of fire in oropharyngeal surgery: a mechanical model. American Journal of Otolaryngology, 31(5): 356-9.
- Roy S, Smith LP (2010). A novel technique for treating auricular hematomas in mixed martial artists (ultimate fighters). American Journal of Otolaryngololgy, 31(1): 21-4.
- Smith LP, Otto SE, Wagner KA, Chewaproug L, Jacobs IN, Zur KB (2009). Management of oral feeding in children undergoing airway reconstruction. Laryngoscope, 119(5): 967-73
- Smith LP, Chewaproug L, Spergel JM, Zur KB (2009). Otolaryngologists may not be doing enough to diagnose pediatric eosinophilic esophagitis. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 73(11): 1554-7.
- Bruno CJ, Smith LP, Zur KB, Wade KC (2009). Congenital subglottic cyst in a term neonate. Archives of disease in childhood. Fetal and neonatal edition, 94(4): F240
- Roy S, Reyes S, Smith LP (2009). Bipolar radiofrequency plasma ablation (Coblation) of lymphatic malformations of the tongue. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 73(2): 289-93
- Kulak J, Smith LP, Acar BC, Weed DT (2009). Pathology Clinic. Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease. Ear Nose Throat J, 88(9): 1108-9
- Ransom ER, Antunes MB, Smith LP, Jacobs IN (2009). Microdebrider resection of acquired subglottic cysts: Case series and review of the literature. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 73(12): 1833-6.
- Smith LP, Roy S (2008). Fire/Burn Risk with Electrosurgical Devices & Endoscopy Fiber Optic Cables. American Journal of Otolaryngology, 29(3): 171-6
- Roy S, Vivero RJ, Smith LP (2008). Adenotonsillar pathology in post-transplant patients. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 72(6): 865-8
- Reyes SA, Smith LP, Younis RT (2008). Improving the penetration of ototopicals through tympanostomy tubes: Role of surfactants. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 72(1): 69-72
- Smith LP, Eshraghi AA, Whitley DE, Van De Water TR, Balkany TJ (2007). Localized Cochlear Hypothermia. Acta Oto-Laryngologica, 127(3): 228-33
- Smith LP, Roy S (2006). Treatment Strategy for Iatrogenic Nasal Vestibular Stenosis in Young Children. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 70(8): 1369-1373
- Smith LP, Thomas GR (2006). Animal models for the study of squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract: A historical perspective with review of their utility and limitations. Part A. Chemically-induced de novo cancer, syngeneic animal models of HNSCC, animal models of transplanted xenogeneic human tumors. International Journal of Cancer, 118(9): 2111-22
- Thomas GR, Smith LP (2006). Animal models for the study of squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract: A historical perspective with review of their utility and limitations part B. Transgenic mouse models. International Journal of Cancer, 118(10):2379-80 118(10):2379-80
- Smith LP, Karimi K, Angeli SI (2006). Inner Ear Dysplasia with Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 70(11): 1985-8.
- Smith LP, Smullen JL, Younis RT (2005). Differential Penetration of Ototopicals and Water through Tympanostomy Tubes. The Laryngoscope, 115(8): 1367-70
- Payumo FC, Kim HD, Sherling MA, Smith LP, Powell C, Wang X, Keeping HS, Valentini RF, Vandenburgh HH (2002). Tissue Engineering Skeletal Muscle for Orthopaedic Applications. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 403 Suppl.: S228-42
- Greenwald JA, Mehrara BJ, Spector JA, Warren SM, Fagenholz PJ, Smith LP, Bouletreau PJ, Crisera FE, Ueno H, Longaker MT (2001). In Vivo Modulation of FGF Biological Activity Alters Cranial Suture Fate. American Journal of Pathology, 158(2): 441-452
- Spector JA, Luchs JS, Mehrara BJ, Greenwald JA, Smith LP, Longaker MT (2001). Expression of Bone Morphogenetic Proteins During Membraneous Bone Healing. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 107(1): 124-134
- Spector JA, Mehrara BJ, Greenwald JA, Saadeh PB, Steinbrech DS, Smith LP, Longaker MT (2000). A Molecular Analysis of the Isolated Rat Posterior Frontal and Sagittal Sutures: Differences in Gene Expression. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 106(4): 852-861
- Spector JA, Mehrara BJ, Greenwald JA, Saadeh PB, Steinbrech DS, Bouletreau PJ, Smith LP, Longaker MT (2000). Osteoblast Expression of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor in Modulated by the Extracellular Microenvironment. American Journal of Physiology – Cell Physiology, 280: C72-80
- Jong YS, Egilmez NK, Chen F-A, Jacob JS, Smith LP, Mottl TS, Bankert RB, Mathiowitz E (1999). Evaluation of Cytokine Delivery Systems for Cancer Immunotherapy. Proceedings of the Material Research Society, 550: 71-75
American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons