Nicholas Bastidas, MD
The Center for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
The Center for Facial Reconstruction
The Center for Vascular Anomalies
The Center for Head & Neck Oncology
1991 Marcus Avenue, Suite 102
Lake Success, NY 11042
Tel: (516) 497-7900
Fax: (516) 497-7920
About Nicholas Bastidas MD
I am a plastic surgeon who specializes in pedatric and adult craniofacial surgery. My clinical interests are in:
- Craniosynostosis / Deformational Plagiocephaly
- Cleft Surgery
- Congenital Anomalies
- Congenital Hand Surgery
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Head and Neck Reconstruction
- Ear Reconstruction
- Facial Reanimation
- Lower Extremity Salvage / Trauma
- Maxillofacial Trauma (Frontal Sinus Orbit Maxilla Mandible)
- Migraine Surgery
- Orthognathic Surgery
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Pediatric Plastic Surgery
- Skin Cancer / Reconstruction
- Tissue engineering
- Vascular anomalies / Hemangioma
- Wound Healing
Available for in-patient, outpatient and pre-natal consultations.
8/1996 – 6/2000 BA, Magna Cum Laude SUNY Binghamton, Chemistry
8/2000 – 5/2005 MD NYU School of Medicine with Distinguished Honors in Cell Biology Research
7/05 – 7/11: Combined Plastic Surgery Residency, New York University
7/11 – 7/12: Craniofacial and Pediatric Plastic Surgery Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Faculty Academic Appointments
Assistant Professor of Surgery, North Shore – Long Island Jewish Health System
Appointments at Hospitals/Affiliated Institutions
Cohen Childrens Medical Center
Lenox Hill Hospital
Long Island Jewish Medical Center
Manhattan Eye and Ear Infirmary
North Shore Manhasset
Active Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery
Member of the American Cleft Palate – Craniofacial Association
Member of tbe American Society of Maxillofacial Surgons
Reviewer for the Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Honors and Prizes
Reagen Fellow Award, Operation Smile: 2012
ASMS Resident Scholar Award: 9/2011
Medical Center Groups and Committees
4/15/13 – current: Member – Cohen Childrens Medical Center - Perioperative Services Committee
4/15/13 – current: Hagedorn Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Center – Pediatric Plastic and Craniofacial Surgeon
11/13/13 – current: Advanced Fetal Care Program – Pediatric Plastic and Craniofacial Surgery
Report of Funded and Unfunded Projects
Allergan Medical Investigators Grant
$10,000 10/2009 – 6/2011
Title: Botulinum Toxin-A as a Sympatholytic in Digital Replantation
GCRC Mentored Medical Student Grant
Bellevue Hospital Medical Center
$20,000 2/2003 – 2/2004
Title:The Role of Adenosine Receptors in Connective Tissue Inflammatory Hand Disorders
Glorney-Raisbeck Fellowship in Cardiovascular Research
New York Academy of Medicine
$3,000 5/2004 – 7/2004
Title: The Effect of Aging on Ischemia Induced- Vasculogenesis
National Institute of Health (NIH) Supplemental Grant
Title: Explanted Vascular Beds for Complex Tissue Engineering
Report of Local Teaching and Training
Formal Teaching of Residents, Clinical Fellows and Research Fellows (post-docs)
4/15/13 - current: Directly supervised residents and fellows during operative surgical cases. Conducted in-service review and walk-rounds for resident education.
6/13 – current: Coordinator for a plastic surgery elective for pediatric ER rotators
Clinical Supervisory and Training Responsibilities
4/15/13 – current: Resident Education Coordinator – Coordinated and set up grand grounds for the plastic surgery residents at LIJMC
Formal Teaching of Peers (e.g., CME and other continuing education courses)
Craniofacial and Pediatric Plastic Surgery Symposium: State of the Art – planned regional meeting at NSLIJ(8/6/2014).
Local Invited Presentations
1. Bastidas. N. Deformational Plagiocephaly and Craniosynostosis: Differential Diagnosis and Management. Presented at Mercy Medical Center Pediatric Grand Rounds, November 2012.
2. Bastidas, N. Neonatal Airway Obstruction: Mandibular Distraction . Presented at LIJ Neonatal Grand Rounds, January 2013.
3. Bastidas, N. Hemangioma and Vascular Anomalies. Presented at LIJ Pediatric Surgery Grand Rounds, May 2013.
4. Bastidas, N. Introduction to Craniofacial Surgery. Presented at NSLIJ Neurosurgery Grand Rounds, June 2013.
5. Bastidas, N. Pediatric Plastic and Craniofacial Surgery. Presented at NSLIJ Pediatric Grand Rounds, August 2013.
6. Bastidas, N. Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery. Flushing Hospital Medical Center, November
7. Bastidas, N. Pediatric Plastic and Craniofacial Surgery. Presented at Lenox Hill Pediatric Grand Rounds, January 2014.
Report of Clinical Activities and Innovations
Current Licensure and Certification
New York State Medical License: #247535
American Board of Plastic Surgery 11/2013 – current
Report of Education of Patients and Service to the Community
Little Baby Face Foundation
Featured on Dateline NBC (1/5/2014) – “Second Chances”
Volunteer for Operation Smile
Report of Scholarship
- Wink, JD, Bastidas, N, Bartlett, SB. Analysis of the Long Term Growth of the Apert Mandible. J Craniofac Surg. 2013 Jul 24..
- Bastidas, N, Taylor, J. Anatomic Study of Full Facial and Scalp Allografts without Cutaneous Facial Scars. J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2013 May 6.
- Bastidas, N, Jacobs J, Thorne CH. Ear Lobule Reconstruction Using Nasal Septal Cartilage. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013 Apr;131
- Bastidas, N, Gerety, P, Taylor, JA. Design of a Modified Monobloc Composite Facial Allograft Technique. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013 Mar;131(3):537-43
- Bastidas, N, Bartlett, S. Optimization of Curvilinear Mandible Distraction using 3D Computer Simulated Modeling. J Craniofac Surg. 2012 Nov;23(6):1713-6.
- Bastidas, N, Taylor, JA. Correction of the Question Mark Ear Deformity with a Double Opposing Z-plasty and a Chondrocutaneous Flap. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Jun 8.
- Bastidas, N, Mackay DJ, Taylor, JA, Bartlett, SP. Analysis of the Long-Term Outcomes of Non-syndromic Bicoronal Synostosis. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2012 Jul 3
- Derderian, C, Bastidas, N, Bartlett SP. Posterior Cranial Vault Expansion Using Distraction Osteogenesis. Childs Nerv Syst. 2012 Sep;28(9):1551-6. Epub 2012 Aug 8.
- Chung, C, Yu, J, Bastidas, N, Bartlett, SP, Taylor JA. The Utility of the Ultrasonic Scalpel in Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis. J Craniofac Surg. 2012 Aug 31.
- Bastidas, N, Levine, JP, Stile, F. The Sweet Science of Reducing Periorbital Lacerations in Mixed Martial Arts. Ann Plast Surg. 2011 May 16.
- Bastidas, N, Cassidy, L, Hoffman, L, Sharma, S. A Single Institution Experience of Hand Surgery Litigation in a Major Replantation Center . PlastReconstr Surg., 2011 Jan; 127(1): 284-92.
- Bastidas N, Zide B. Suspension of the Brow in Facial Paralysis and Frontalis loss.PlastReconstr Surg. 2010 Aug;126(2):486-8.
- Reuben, C, Bastidas, N, Sharma, S. Power-Assisted Suction Lipectomy of Fasciocutaneous Flaps in the Extremities. Ann Plast Surg. 2010 Jul;65(1):60-5
- Bastidas, N, Zide, BM. The Treachery of Mandibular Angle Augmentation. Ann Plast Surg. 2010 Jan;64(1):4-6.
- Tabbal, GN, Bastidas, N, Sharma, S. Closed Mallet Thumb Injury: A Review of the Literature and Case Study of the Use of MRI in Deciding Treatment. PlastReconstr Surg. 2009 Jul;124(1):222-6
- Bastidas N, Ashjian, P, Sharma S. Acellular Dermal Matrix for Temporary Coverage of Exposed Critical Neurovascular Structures in Extremity Wounds.Annals of Plastic Surgery, Apr;62(4):410-3.
- Chang EI, Loh SA, Ceradini DJ, Chang EI, Lin SE, Bastidas N, Aarabi S, Chan DA, Freedman ML, Giaccia AJ, Gurtner GC.Age decreases endothelial progenitor cell recruitment through decreases in hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha stabilization during ischemia. Circulation. 2007 Dec 11;116(24):2818-29. Epub 2007 Nov 26.
- Bhatt KA, Chang EI, Warren SM, Lin SE, Bastidas N, Ghali S, Thibboneir A, Capla JM, McCarthy JG, Gurtner GC. Uniaxial mechanical strain: an in vitro correlate to distraction osteogenesis. J Surg Res. 2007 Dec;143(2):329-36. Epub 2007 Oct 22.
- Flores RL, Bastidas N, Galiano RD.Successful replantation of an amputated nose after dog bite injury.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007 Feb;136(2):326-7.
- Derderian CA, Bastidas N, Lerman OZ, Bhatt KA, Lin SE, Voss J, Holmes JW, Levine JP, Gurtner GC.Mechanical strain alters gene expression in an in vitro model of hypertrophic scarring. Ann Plast Surg. 2005 Jul;55(1):69-75; discussion 75.
- Ceradini DJ, Kulkarni AR, Callaghan MJ, Tepper OM, Bastidas N, Kleinman ME, Capla JM, Galiano RD, Levine JP, Gurtner GC.Progenitor cell trafficking is regulated by hypoxic gradients through HIF-1 induction of SDF-1. Nat Med. 2004 Aug;10(8):858-64. Epub 2004 Jul 4.
- Galiano RD, Tepper OM, Pelo CR, Bhatt KA, Callaghan M, Bastidas N, Bunting S, Steinmetz HG, Gurtner GC.Topical vascular endothelial growth factor accelerates diabetic wound healing through increased angiogenesis and by mobilizing and recruiting bone marrow-derived cells. Am J Pathol. 2004 Jun;164(6):1935-47.
- Grabb and Smith 7th Edition. Chapter 31: Reconstruction of the Scalp, Calvarium and Forehead.
Abstracts, Poster Presentations and Exhibits Presented at Professional Meetings
1. Williams, A, Bastidas, N, Nguyen, K, Cronstein, B. Rage Ligand S100 Upregulates Expression of A2A Adenosine Receptors (A2aR) in Diabetic Dermal Fibroblasts. Poster Presentation at NYUSOM Research Day, 2003
2. Williams, A, Bastidas, N, Nguyen, K, Cronstein, B. Receptors for Advanced GlycosylationEndproducts (RAGE) Ligand S100 Upregulates Expression of A2A Adenosine Receptors (A2aR) in Diabetic Dermal Fibroblasts. Presented at National Purine Conference, 2004.
3. Ceradini, D, Kulkarni, A, Callaghan, MJ, Tepper O, Bastidas, N, Galiano, R, Gurtner, GC. Hypxoic Grdients Guide Stem/Progenitor Cell Trafficking Through HIF-1 Induction of Stromal Cell Derived Factor -1. Presented at Keystone Symposia: Biology of Hypoxia, 2004.
4. Bastidas, N, Sharma, S, Friedman, DW. Review of Replantation of Complete Amputations of the Wrist and Distal forearm: A 12 year experience. Presented at Plastic Surgery Research Council, 2004.
5. Bhatt, K, Bastidas, N, Bonillas, R, Jones, D, Grieves, M, Levine, J, Gurtner, G. Mechanical Strain Induces Hypertrophic Scars in Mice by Reducing Stromal Cell Apoptosis. Presented at Plastic Surgery Research Council, June 2004.
6. Ceradini, D, Kulkarni, A, Callaghan, MJ, Tepper O, Bastidas, N, Galiano, R, Gurtner, GC. Stem Progenitor Cell Trafficking is Regulated by Hypoxic Gradient via HIF-1 induction of SDF-1
Presented at Plastic Surgery Research Council, June 2004.
7. Seiser N, Bastidas N, Galiano RD, Ceradini, DJ, Levine, JP, Gurtner GC. Sub-acute Exposure to Hyperglycemia Impairs VEGF Transcription with Subsequent Adaptation in Endothelial Cells. Presented at Plastic Surgery Research Council, June 2004.
8. Bastidas, N, Ceradini, D, Gurtner, GC. Aging Impairs Ischemia-Induced Neovascularization by Decreasing Endothelial Progenitor Cell Recruitment. Presented at the American Society of Plastic Surgery Conference, October 2004.
9. Bastidas, N, Sharma, S, Friedman, DW. Review of Replantation of Amputations of the Wrist and Distal Forearm: A 12 year Experience. Presented at the American Society of Plastic Surgery Conference, October 2004.
10. Bastidas, N, Sharma, S. Malpractice Litigation in Digital Replantation. Presented at th American Society of Plastic Surgery Conference, Seattle, October 2009
11. Bastidas, N, Sharma, S. Malpractice Litigation in Digital Replantation.Presented at the American Association of Hand Surgeons, Boca Raton, January 2010
12. Bastidas, N, Yang, Z, Lerman, O, Ceradini, D, Saadeh, S. Botulinum Toxin-A as an Adjunct in Digital Replantation. Presented at the American Association of Hand Surgery. Las Vegas, Jan 2012
13. Bastidas, N, Taylor, J. Correction of the Bilateral Question Mark Ear Deformity. Presented at the American Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Association, San Jose April 2012
14. Bastidas et. al. An Anthropoemtric Study of Mandibular Growth of Different Treatment Modalities in Pierre-Robin Sequence. Presented at the American Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Association, San Jose April 2012