Oren Z. Lerman, MD, FACS
The Center for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
100 East 77th Street
New York, NY 10075
Tel: (212) 434-6980
Fax: (212) 434-6950
About Oren Lerman MD, FACS
Dr. Lerman has always strived to combine the most advanced reconstructive surgical techniques with basic science research and an eye for aesthetic surgery to restore both form and function at the highest level. After completing his general surgery residency years at NYU Medical Center he elected to do a second year of dedicated basic science research in the field of vascular biology and radiation injury. He then went on to complete his Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery training at NYU including Aesthetic Surgery training at Manhattan Eye Ear & Throat Hospital and served as Executive Chief Resident. Dr. Lerman went on to an additional clinical fellowship in micro-vascular reconstructive surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia where he trained in complex reconstructive surgery of the Head & Neck, Breast and Body. This included complex facial reconstruction for cancer, trauma and congenital defects including facial re-animation for paralysis.
Dr. Lerman is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is a board member of the New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons and a member of numerous professional societies including the American college of surgeons, American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgeons and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Since 2001, He has authored 15 original articles and over 25 abstracts on microvascular surgery, radiation and related clinical issues and has presented at numerous scientific conferences.
Comprehensive Cranial Base Surgery Expertise:
- Microvascular Free Tissue Transfer
- Mandible/Midface Reconstruction
- Pharyngeal / Esophageal Reconstruction
- Intra-Oral Cancer Reconstruction
- Facial Paralysis Surgery
- Facial Reconstructive Surgery
- MD – New York University Medical School
- General Surgery – New York University Medical Center
- Plastic Surgery – New York University Medical Center
- Microvascular Surgery Fellowship – University of Pennsylvania Health System
- Microvascular Research Fellowship – New York University Medical Center
Awards and Recognition for Oren Lerman MD:
- Plastic Surgery – American Board of Plastic Surgery
Publications by Oren Lerman:
- 2011 American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery – 2nd Place Best Clinical Paper Award
- 2009 Allergan medical investigational study grant – Co-Investigator
- 2008 New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons Resident Night Research award
- 2007 PSEF Scientific Essay Contest Annual Bernard G. Sarnat, MD Junior Award
- 2007 New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons Resident Night Research award
- 2006 PSEF National Endowment For Plastic Surgery Research Grant – Co-Investigator
- 2006 American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons - Synthes CMF Research Grant Award
- 2005 American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons - Synthes CMF Research Grant Award
- 2004 Surgical Resident Teaching Award
- 2001 Alpha Omega Alpha Research Fellowship Grant
- 2001 New York University School of Medicine Honors Research Program
- Lerman OZ, Greives MR, Singh SP, Thanik VD, Chang CC, Seiser N, Brown DJ, Knobel D, Schneider RJ, Formenti SC, Saadeh PB, Levine JP. Low-dose radiation augments vasculogenesis signaling through HIF-1 dependent and independent SDF-1 induction. Blood, 2010 Jul 14 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20631377
- Thanik VD, Chang CC, Lerman OZ, Greives MR, Le H, Warren SM, Schneider RJ, Formenti SC, Saadeh PB, Levine JP. Cutaneous Low-Dose Radiation Increases Tissue Vascularity through Upregulation of Angiogenic and Vasculogenic Pathways. J Vasc Res. 2010 Apr 30;47(6):472-480. PMID: 20431296
- Chang CC, Lerman OZ, Thanik VD, Scharf CL, Greives MR, Schneider RJ, Formenti SC, Saadeh PB, Warren SM, Levine JP. Dose-dependent effect of radiation on angiogenic and angiostatic CXC chemokine expression in human endothelial cells. Cytokine. 2009 Dec; 48(3) 295-302. PMID: 19782578
- Thanik VD, Chang CC, Lerman OZ, Allen RJ Jr, Nguyen PD, Saadeh PB, Warren SM, Levine JP, Coleman SR, Hazen A. A murine model for studying diffusely injected human fat. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Jul;124(1):74-81. PMID: 19568047.
- Le H, Kleinerman R, Lerman OZ, Brown D, Galiano R, Gurtner GC, Warren SM, Levine JP, Saadeh PB. Hedgehog signaling is essential for normal wound healing. Wound Repair Regen. 2008 Nov-Dec;16(6):768-73. PMID: 19128247
- King TW, Lerman OZ, Carter JJ, Warren SM. Exertional compartment syndrome of the thigh: A rare diagnosis and literature review. J Emerg Med. 2008 Jun 30. PMID: 18597970.
- Lerman OZ. Non possum sequi tibi! Where am I going if I cannot follow you? Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 Mar;121(3):1072-3. PMID: 18317177.
- Thanik VD, Greives MR, Lerman OZ, Seiser N, Dec W, Chang CC, Warren SM, Levine JP, Saadeh PB. Topical matrix-based siRNA silences local gene expression in a murine wound model. Gene Ther. 2007 Sep;14(17):1305-8. Epub 2007 Jul 12. PMID: 17625576.
- Rohde C, Greives MR, Cetrulo C, Lerman OZ, Levine JP, Hazen A. Gustilo grade IIIB tibial fractures requiring microvascular free flaps: external fixation versus intramedullary rod fixation. Ann Plast Surg. 2007 Jul;59(1):14-7. PMID: 17589252.
- Derderian CA, Bastidas N, Lerman OZ, Bhatt KA, Lin SE, Voss J, Holmes JW, Levine JP, Gurtner GC. Mechanical strain alters gene expression in an in vitro model of hypertrophic scarring. Ann Plast Surg. 2005 Jul;55(1):69-75; discussion 75. PMID: 15985794.
- Lerman OZ, Galiano RD, Armour M, Levine JP, Gurtner GC. Cellular dysfunction in the diabetic fibroblast: impairment in migration, vascular endothelial growth factor production, and response to hypoxia. Am J Pathol. 2003 Jan;162(1):303-12. PMID: 12507913; PubMed Central ID: PMC1851127.
- American Society of Plastic Surgery
- American Society For Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Diplomat: American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow: American College of Surgeons
- Board of Directors: New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Medical Advisory Board – Little Baby Faces Foundation